Please Mr. Mozeliak, Trade Peter Bourjos

Newly acquired center field whiz Peter Bourjos, doesn’t actually play for the Cardinals.  I mean, literally, he doesn’t play.  A mere two weeks into the season, at a time when Bourjos was just starting to put some wood on the ball at the plate, he disappeared.  I believe the exact moment that he ceased to play was after the Milwaukee series in Milwaukee.  It occurred after Jon Jay hit a home run that saved the game.  Jay (or who I also affectionately refer to as “Noodle Arm”), became the starting CFer at that point, and Bourjos was relegated to bench warming, with occasional appearances against lefties, which were few and far between.  Of course the sporadic play put a stop to any offensive surge for Bourjos, who couldn’t get into any kind of rhythm or timing at the plate.

Since that time Jay’s hot streak has seemingly ended, but never fear, Matheny was reinforced by GM John Mozeliak, who called up Memphis CFer Randal Grichuk to rescue Matheny from the appalling prospect of having to play a top 5 defensive center fielder in, you know, center field.  Grichuk has talent, no question about it, mostly of the offensive variety.  Grichuk has a pretty good arm, but has mostly been tagged throughout his career as a corner outfielder.    Here is what a recent profile of Grichuk by Baseball Prospectus had to say:

At the plate, Grichuk’s aggressiveness can get the better of him, as he swings early and often, and frequently chases breaking stuff out of the strike zone. When he remains patient, Grichuk can drive the ball to all fields and has the ability to hit the ball out of the park. He has enough bat speed to handle quality velocity and, over the last two years, his ability to hit breaking balls in the zone has improved. All told, his hit tool projects below-average, but it may still be enough for him to pop 10-12 home runs with regular playing time.

Though Grichuk has been playing mostly center field in Triple-A, he does not profile well at the position long term. His speed doesn’t play to an average level, even once underway, and while his instincts and effort can overcome some of that, he fits much better in right field than up the middle. His arm is above-average and accurate, and he can help prevent runners from taking an extra base.

Overall, Grichuk profiles as more of a second-division whose defense is inadequate for center field and who lacks the overall offensive profile to be a regular in a corner. He has the attitude, intensity, and tools to succeed in a part-time role, particularly one in which most of his at-bats come against left-handed pitching.

Saved by the guy who really doesn’t have the tools to play center field at a starting level.  Matheny must have been relieved.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Grichuk.  I say none of this to disparage him in any way.  I am excited to see what he can do offensively.  Bring it on.

So, now that Matheny has Grichuk, and he still has Jay, who could go on another one of his hot streaks sometime in the future, why does he need Bourjos?  I mean, no one really likes Bourjos anyway, because he hasn’t set the world on fire with his bat in those massive 55 plate appearances he has had.  I mean, who couldn’t hit like Babe Ruth in 55 PAs?  That’s a lot, right?

Okay, I am being snarky, but that’s what I do.  My mother was snarky, and I got it from her.

Seriously though, if the organization feels that Bourjos isn’t what they want, then I think it would be best for all concerned if he were traded.  Make some calls, find a team who could really use an elite defensive CFer, and get what you can for him.  That way he doesn’t clog up the roster, and he gets a chance to get some playing time with a team that actually wants him.

If he were traded, then the abuse he is getting for his lack of hitting would stop, and Fox Sports Midwest broadcaster Dan McLaughlin could get a respite from the disgust in his voice he imparts to the world whenever Bourjos comes to the plate to bat.  I won’t have to listen to all the disparaging remarks from other fans, and Bourjos can get on with his playing career for a team that wants him and with a manager who is not terrified of putting him in the lineup.

I think it is a win-win for everyone.

Thank you for reading.

Advertisements
Previous Post

20 Comments

1. BW52

/  April 29, 2014

Who`s going to get better hitting when you only play a couple of times a week.Burgos needs to play more.

Liked by 1 person

2. blingboy

/  April 29, 2014

I don’t blame Mo for not wanting to wait around for Bourjos to get better at hitting.

I don’t blame Mike for being peeved about him failing to bunt the runner to 3rd and failing to take 2nd on the ensuing rundown.

This is the show, produce or get out of the way.

• How do you feel about waiting for Craig to hit? Or Peralta? Or Descalso? Or Ellis?

That tough stance is just fine and dandy when it is enforced evenly. But it isn’t. Hooray for the double standard, isn’t is so convenient?

3. BW52

/  April 30, 2014

Snarkiness fits you so well Marilyn Green.

4. BW52

/  April 30, 2014

You want to trade somebody.trade Jay,,,,if anybody wants a noodlearmed poor CF.

5. BW52

/  April 30, 2014

As for the fans ripping Bourjos Screw them.Give the guy some time to get used to the NL and some playing time..Matheny should be able to figure a way to get everybody in the outfield some playing time.

6. I don’t think Matheny is going to give Bourjos any playing time. Better to trade him now and let him get it somewhere else.

7. BW52

/  April 30, 2014

I hope you are wrong MG.But like you said earlier…………he gives up on Burjos after a month yet he still trots Descalso out there a couple of times a week.Where`s the logic in that?Right now DD can`t hit or field. yet he still get game time.

• I don’t know the reason BW. I do know that based on the numbers there was no logical reason for Matheny to bench Bourjos in favor of Jay. Bourjos started slow, but once he started hitting, he was hitting at a .348 clip, while Jay during the same period was hitting .154. Even adjusting the period for Jay to allow for similar numbers of PAs, Jay was hitting .280 to Bourjos’ .348. Bourjos’ average didnt start to tank until after he hit the bench, getting only 17 PAs spread out over the 9 games after. He had gotten into a rhythm at the plate that he then lost because Matheny wouldn’t play him.

The logic of Descalso escapes pretty much everyone.

8. cariocacardinal

/  May 1, 2014

Seems rather kneejerk for someone who likes to pride themselves on not having kneejerk reactions and using small sample sizes.

Grichuk was a minor league gold glove winner. That is one of 10 players across over 100 teams – much harder than to be a major league gold glove winner. I doubt his defense is as bad as you seem to think.

• I didn’t write the scouting report on Grichuk. Maybe you should take your complaint up with Baseball Prospectus. I am sure they would appreciate the feedback.

I also didn’t bench an elite CFer after two weeks in a new league for an inferior player. Now there is a small sample size, kneejerk reaction for the record books.

9. blingboy

/  May 2, 2014

Boujos’s present situation doesn’t seem like it should logically follow from anything we saw on the field. For that reason we might conclude that it relates more factors we did not see on the field.

10. cariocacardinal

/  May 2, 2014

“Saved by the guy who really doesn’t have the tools to play center field at a starting level. Matheny must have been relieved.” That is your statement not that of BP.

Since Boujo’s has been benched for about the same time that Matheny gave him to play, I’d say both of you have jerky knees.

• 1. Read the last paragraph of the scouting report.

2. Get a dictionary.

3. Look up “summarization “.

And while you are in the S’s, look up “satire” and “sarcasm”.

11. cariocacardinal

/  May 2, 2014

1. The comment I noted was yours – you cant not repeat something as your own apinion and then pawn it off as that of someone else when challenged on it.. If that is what you think, OK – but own up to it.

2. Have a dictionary and dont need to look the word up as I know what it means.

3. There are other S words that are more appropriate but I dont want to offend you.

• I. I can do whatever I want, it’s my blog.

2. Interesting that you deflected away from the fact that what I said was an accurate summary of what the scouting report said. Perhaps you would like to take the time to enlighten me as to what part of “defense is inadequate for center field”, and “He has the attitude, intensity, and tools to succeed in a part-time role”, screams starting center fielder to you. Come on, own up to that opinion if you disagree with the scouting report. If not, I stand by what I said.

3. Since when have you worried about offending me? You take shots at me all the time, I just return fire. You usually just hit and run, so at least you are growing. I am too old to give a shit what you think of me or be offended by any word you use.

• cariocacardinal

/  May 3, 2014

IF it wasn’t clear, I disagree with you about Grichuk’s defense. I think he has significant talent there – not just mostly offensive talent as you suggested. When I originally questioned you on this you said I should take it up with BP – apparently avoiding responsibility for your comments. You now say you stand by your opinion. Great. We disagree. Fine. I just wasn’t sure it was your opinion earlier when you passed the buck to BP.

I’ve never said anything to you that I thought should offend you – though that doesn’t mean it hasn’t offended you.

Never hit and run – just often dont waste my time when it is clear others are not open to listening to other views.

Yes, you can do whatever you want with your blog. Doesn’t mean you are doing the intellectually moral thing though.

12. Oh please, I didn’t say anything about Grichuk that wasn’t right in line with the scouting report. You are still deflecting, refusing to commit to either agreeing or disagreeing with the scouting report, because to do so would defeat your purpose of challenging me. The report clearly states his defense is inadequate, if you think it isn’t, fine. You are allowed to disagree with BP’s analysis, but be a man and admit to it.

You are the one being intellectually dishonest here.

I don’t have time for your semantical games. I have better things to do.

13. cariocacardinal

/  May 5, 2014

You agree with the scouting report. I very clearly stated that I disagreed with you. Thus it is obvious to anyone who has taken algebra 101 that I disagree with the scouting report.